Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ear Candling




Yes, that is Erik under all the towels and flames. Over the Holiday Erik's Aunt Genae volunteered to candle Erik's (and then everyone's) ears. An ear candle is a hollow tube made out of some kind of cloth dipped in wax and rolled into the tube shape, with a tapered end. You put the tapered end in your ear, then light the other end on fire, and the heat and smoke is supposed to help loosen impacted ear wax and clean out any other yucky stuff that may be floating around in your ears. The candle burns down to about 4 inches, then you put it out and you can cut the remainder open to see what came out of your ears. Whether it is really very beneficial for your health is still undetermined, but it was a neat experience, and I swear my ear canals felt more open afterwards.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

ha i love how they are both just watching your hubby on fire! I've heard of that before.. it sounds cool!

Katy said...

I heard that was a big gimmick. Like if you cut open the candle before doing it, it will have "wax" already in it. But I don't know for sure.

Jenny said...

Hmmm...I am not at all surprised that Genae was the mastermind behind this!

Hillary said...

Oh wow... I bet that feels weird. Do you actually get the wax dripping into your ear? Sounds fun... and scary!