Monday, February 2, 2009

Small for dates

So I have found out that not being hugely pregnant can be a very bad thing. At my last doctor's appointment I was measuring pretty small for how far along I am, so I went in for an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech spent a lot of time measuring fluid and not very much time really looking at our baby, so we didn't even get to see much of her :( She also didn't talk at all about what she saw, but as we were leaving she cryptically remarked that we should be hearing from our doctor that same day and if we didn't then we needed to call him the next day. Well, if that isn't enough to freak anyone out, I went home and looked in my pregnancy book about what it means if there is not enough amniotic fluid (which was my guess from her measuring even though she didn't say anything) and the book went on and on about how it can be caused by things like the baby's kidneys not working or down syndrome or at the very least growth restriction, all of which would result in the baby needing to be delivered early.
Now I know that I had no concrete information about anything actually being wrong with my baby, but after reading stuff like that I really started to freak out, and I didn't hear from my doctor that day, so I called his office the next morning as soon as they opened and my doctor finally called me at one in the afternoon. I can assure you that it seemed like and eternity. He assured me that there was really nothing wrong with my baby. She is a little small and he thinks we might be off on my dates. That is all. All that stress and worry for nothing! My doctor decided that I should go in for a test every week just to monitor and make sure that my baby remains ok, but said that there is really nothing to be very worried about right now.
So if any of you reading this wish to someday become ultrasound technicians, keep your big mouths shut and don't scare first time mothers who really have no idea what is going on! It is not nice.

5 comments:

Katy said...

TOTALLY know what its like to be scared to death due to an ultrasound! Our doctor was afraid that Felicity's head was measuring too big and how that can be a sign of mental retardation and some other things. In the end, it was totally fine. Freaked me out though. Towards the end of my pregnancy, I had an ultrasound as well b/c I was showing that there wasn't enough amniotic fluid. My water broke a couple of days later so maybe it will be sooner then later for you too!! If you need anything, even someone to complain about doctors or pregnancy too, call me! :)

Katy said...

P.S. I went to your doctor a couple of times before Felicity was born, he tends to be a bit over cautious, and worrisome so don't let him stress you out too much. :)

Rachel said...

oh my gosh! I was freaked out for you just reading this... i can't imagine having to wait days to get the outcome! I'm so sorry you had a scare like that. And you know what? some babies are just little and that's fine. Everthing is still fully developed. My friend was small like you and she went full term and her baby was just under 6 lbs. So tiny but perfectly healthy! Your little one will be fine. We will all continue to pray for a healthy pregnancy and delivery for you. But I do understand... us mom's worry about everything! This is just the start. :)

Janell H. said...

Oh my gosh! What a scare! Sorry about that! Don't technicians know that first time moms analyze everything like crazy and have the internet and lots of baby books at their disposal that can freak them out? Sheesh! Glad your doc finally cleared everything up, though. So does this mean they think you will be due later?

Alyssa said...

I had an appointment with my doc today and he thinks I am about 35 weeks, so not much of a difference really. She'll prob be here by the end of feb.