Friday, August 12, 2011

Heartbreak

Yesterday a friend of mine on facebook posted a link to a blog. It was about a family whose baby girl was in the final stages of liver failure. She was diagnosed with liver failure at 3 months, and just turned 7 months. She'd been fighting for 4 long months. Her skin was completely discolored from so little liver function. Her belly was huge and distended from swelling and an enlarged liver. But in the before pics, she reminded me a lot of Soleil.
When I went to bed last night, the latest news was that there might be a donor match for her. I prayed so hard all night. I knew that Heavenly Father had a plan for her, but I just wanted so badly for that plan to be the healing of this sweet baby girl. However, this afternoon I found out that she passed away overnight. This family is completely unknown to me; I am a complete stranger to them. But I think my heart broke into a million pieces for them. It just feels absolutely devastating. Sometimes matters of the heart just make no logical sense I guess.
I think part of the reason is that I know I will be losing loved ones soon. My Grandpa Williams was just diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and is not expected to survive to Christmas. My Grandpa Gau's health has been failing steadily for a couple years, and it seems like his time is not far away either. I have never lost someone I was very close to before. Both of these men are enormously important to me. I am not ready for either of them to be gone.
I think another reason is that this little baby girl reminds me a lot of Soleil. Just in her smile and the little personality that seems to radiate through her pictures. She just is adorable. And, of course, there's the fact that, as a mother, I think I would die if I ever lost one of my children. I can't imagine it.
I have read several stories recently that have been similar to this. But this one in particular has quite shaken me up. Oh my heart is breaking for this family. If you have time, and a lot of tissues, here is the link to their blog. Start in May and go from there.

1 comment:

prescottfamily said...

I saw the link on your sidebar the other day and read over their story.I cried and cried.It was a perfect reminder to me of how grateful I am to know of why each of us are here, and what is to come.Thank you for sharing it.It humbled my heart and reminded me of life's simple, amazing moments